This book is a compilation of the basic rudimentary exercises I have played as a matter of routine to keep me in the requisite physical shape to endure the rigors of a demanding orchestral, solo, and chamber music career. They also represent the underlying concepts and principles on which my teaching of technical issues has been predicated, and which I have always endeavored to impart to my own students. It is the kind of book I wish had been readily available to me during the course of my career.
Efficiency in technical development requires patience, creative imagination, and a dedication to the ultimate goal of technical perfection is an important component of my teaching. Additionally, it should be noted that technical perfection exists solely as a means to achieve a musical goal, providing musicians with the necessary confidence and tools to express the complete range of musical emotions.
Content | 76 pages of fundamental exercises
1) Flexibility exercises on the F horn and B-flat horn
2) Fast flexibility exercises on the F, B-flat and optional high E-flat horn
3) Complete scales, written out in all major and minor tonalities with articulation alternatives
4) Intervals in all tonalities
5) Articulations exercises written out in all tonalities
6) Chromatic exercises to steady the embouchure in the sensitive range
7) The sound production (practice the "attack" of the note) in all ranges and all dynamics
8) Exercises to be played loud