On request: for any online sheet music order, get free access to a digital copy through the Newzik app (Web or iPad)
CO45 Score and parts
Kerry Turner (*1960)
Kerry Drew Turner, born 1960 in Texas, began composing at the age of 10. Having passed the highest level music theory examination given by the American Piano Teacher’s Guild, he submitted a wind quintet at the age of 12, which won First Prize. By graduation from High School, he had composed two symphonies, a mass, seven orchestral tone poems, and a small string quartet. He entered Baylor...
About 6 Lives of Jack McBride
The work’s main theme is based on an old Gaelic theme from the Orkney Islands.
The idea to write a work which deals with the notion of global-historical time travel has always fascinated the composer. He gives here an account of Jack McBride’s six previous lives, which happen to be the times and places that fascinate him the most:
1. Auschwitz – During World War II approximately 4 million people, mostly Jews, were dragged from their families and homes and sent on trains to the infamous Auschwitz concentration camp. Jack McBride was among them.
2. Texas on a Sunday - 1850 – The early settlers of the wild western plains, stretching from Canada to Texas, built their farms sometimes several days’ ride from another human being. On certain Sundays the settlers from all over central Texas would come together at the church and after service and business discussions, they would dine together and enjoy one another’s fellowship. Jack McBride remembers.
3. Bounty - In April 1789, the crew of the trade ship was forced to mutiny against the captain, the notorious lieutenant Bligh. Aware of their crime against the British Crown, they sought out a remote uncharted island, where they set fire to the ship and lived out the rest of their lives. On the ship’s register: Thomas Hampton, boatswain.
4. Greenland - In 981, Erik the Red set sail from Iceland to explore and settle the land he called Greenland (he said “people would be more tempted to come if it had an attractive name.”) Most of thee settlers established themselves in Julianehaab, but due to increasingly poor conditions, they were cut off from the rest of Europe, and it is unlikely that any of them survived into the 16th.century.
5. Sermon on the mount - According to Matthew 4:25 in the Holy Bible, “Large crowds from Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan” met on a mountainside and listened to Jesus Christ preach his message to the world. A voice from somewhere deep in the past of Jack McBride’s transmigrations gives an account.
6. Masada - The year 73 CE, in the citadel on the eastern edge of the Judean desert, after probably two, three months of siege, the Romans could finally breach the wall of the fortress with a giant ramp and discovered to their horror that the occupants of Masada had committed mass suicide or killed each other. A witness through the eyes of one of the Roman soldiers
We also recommend
- Editions Bim
- Theme of Jack McBride (1'45)
1. Auschwitz (1'30)
2. Texas on a Sunday (3'45)
3. The Bounty (1'40)
4. Greenland (4'40)
5. Sermon on the mount (3')
6. Massada (2'30)